Friday, September 12, 2008

1 Week and 1 Day Old

Well, Sadie has officially been a part of the "real" world for one week and one day. It's really quite hard to believe that it's been that long already. The week has really flown by. Here's a quick summary of Sadie's adventures during her first week.

Thursday September 4:
* Born at 7:50 am
* Nurses within first hour
* Nurses multiple times throughout the day
* Receives first bath in hospital room in front of Mommy, Daddy, and Grandma and Grandpa Stotts
* Immediately begins filling diapers with lots of sticky-icky meconium
* Watches first episodes of "Law and Order"
* Stays up much of the night and cries

Friday September 5:
* Seen by the doctor for the first time
* Seen by the lactation consultant who lets Mommy know that Sadie has one of the strongest latches she's ever felt (no wonder Mommy is sore!)
* Visited by Mommy's doctor who comments again and again about what a good team Mommy and Sadie make
* Visited by Aunt Holly
* Visited by Jackie Haworth, Mommy's friend from school
* Watches "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" and already responds well! ;)

Saturday September 6:
* Visited by a couple from Mommy and Daddy's baby birthing class
* Visited by Daddy's friends Johan and Kristy, who are on a tour of Labor and Delivery for when they deliver in December
* Gets to take first ride in the car and go home!
* Spends the day getting acclimated and getting to know the kitties
* Enjoys being held or rocked while Mommy and Daddy eat sloppy joes

Here are some pictures of her grandparents holding her:

Sunday September 7:
* Visited by Grandma and Grandpa Brinkley
* Visited by Uncle Tim and cousins Codey and Noah
* Takes first bath at home
* Shows everyone how well she can already hold up her own head
* Still rather confused about her days and nights

Here's a picture of her first bath at home with Mom and Dad:

Monday September 8:
* Gets to take a trip to the doctor's office after the doctor "loses" Mommy's records when they put in Sadie's information
* Gets to take first ride in the stroller when Mommy goes to purchase some more nursing bras and tanks
* Visited by Great Uncle Kevin
* Continues to show off her amazing abilities to hold up her own head and do push-ups on anyone that's holding her

Tuesday September 9:
* Visited by Daddy's cousin, Dianne
* Sleeping improves slightly during the night time hours
* Spends a big chunk of time alone with Mommy while Daddy runs some errands
* Takes first ride in Baby Bjorn when Mommy takes her out on the back porch to enjoy the nice weather

Wednesday September 10:
* Feels very sad when Daddy has to return to work
* Excited that Grandma Stotts gets to spend the day with her
* Takes a trip to the pet store

Thursday September 11:
* Gets to visit the doctor for her first check-up
* Is up to 9 lbs, 2 oz - one ounce up from birth and 6 ounces up from when we left the hospital
* Pees all over the exam table - nurse comments on how well hydrated she is. :)
* Takes another stroller ride to help Mommy return the rented breast pump
* Enjoys afternoon in the stroller while Mommy, Sadie, and Grandma meet Daddy for lunch at La Chatelaine for an al fresco dining experience
* Waits anxiously for news that her friend Parker has been born
* Sleeps in 3 hour spurts during the night!
* Prefers sleeping on her side rather than flat on her back
* Tries her best to go through as many diapers as possible while she's on the changing table

Friday September 12:
* Hangs out at the house while the electrician noisily continues to work on finishing up several unfinished electrical projects
* Spends afternoon time fussing - maybe an indication that she'll sleep better tonight?
* Enjoys being held by anyone willing to hold her - but spent a good amount of time asleep on Grandpa

Our plans for this weekend include attending the Worthington Market Days celebration in downtown Worthington and letting Mommy and Daddy catch up on their sleep. Mommy will be preparing for spending her first day completely alone with Sadie on Monday.

I am feeling pretty good overall. I'm definitely still sore and expect that I will continue to be for at least a few weeks. After all, my body has been through the ringer and with my little barracuda latching on so strongly, it may take even longer than a few weeks for me to get back to feeling "great." I am loving being a mom and Adam is doing a FANTASTIC job as a new dad. I really have no idea how he's been able to go back to work, though I also know that he's had a really hard time leaving us in the morning. And, he texts us or calls several times throughout the day to make sure we're doing well and to tell us that he loves us both.

Well, I'm feeling pretty sleepy and it won't be too long before it's time for another feeding. So, I'm going to go and get ready for bed and in turn get ready for Sadie to go to bed. Hopefully it will be a good sleeping night.


Andrea said...

Awww what a great first week! :)

amypfan said...

So glad to hear that you're both doing well!