Saturday, August 23, 2008

39 Weeks and Counting

Well, we've reached yet another milestone today - 39 weeks. At one point I was quite certain that I would not make it to see the start of another school year from my actual school building. I had thought and somewhat hoped that Sadie and I would be at home, hanging out together as she got used to life "on the outside." But, it doesn't seem like that was Sadie's plan and as EVERYONE keeps telling me, she'll come when she's ready. My mom has even taken to repeating this gross mantra that my dad's family used to say, "When the core is rotten, the baby will fall." Disgusting, right?

Yesterday was my first "real" back-to-school day. It was a teacher work day. It was a day that I had initially been very worried about even attending and, as it turns out, clearly didn't need to worry about at all. I managed to get quite a lot done and felt pretty satisfied with my progress. For some reason, still unknown to me at this time, my substitute did not show up to the work day. When I left her last Tuesday morning (after our 4 hour meeting) she told me and my principal that she would be there on Friday. My principal called her twice during the day on Friday and left two separate messages. Again, as far as I know, she hasn't returned my principal's phone calls. This is worrying on three accounts because she either 1) has a new job and just hasn't told anyone yet or 2) is certainly not a pillar of responsibility or 3) has gotten injured or otherwise impaired and couldn't use her phone. No matter what, it would certainly have been nice to hear from her and at least have a clue as to what was going on. I've done just about everything I can to prepare my classroom and my fellow teachers for my departure, but I'm certain the transition will be a little rough no matter what. Again, though, there's only so much I can do. None of my fellow team members have a definite plan for next week and without their plans, it's very tricky for me to write plans. Hopefully they'll have something together by Monday and we can all sit down and go over the outline for the week. I know that would ease my stress level a bit more. The kids start on Tuesday and it's certainly looking like I'll be there at this point. I'm just extra hopeful that the squeals of ornery middle school boys will scare Sadie and force her to make her arrival!

Anyways, more about this 39 week milestone. I have been following weekly updates through babycenter.com. Every Saturday I get an update in my inbox that reveals what the "typical" pregnancy should be like for that particular week. I have been laughing for the last several weeks when I receive these e-mails because my pregnancy is clearly not "typical." Here is a sampling of what today's post reads: "Your baby's waiting to greet the world! She continues to build a layer of fat to help control her body temperature after birth, but it's likely she already measures about 20 inches and weighs a bit over 7 pounds, a mini watermelon. (Boys tend to be slightly heavier than girls.) The outer layers of her skin are sloughing off as new skin forms underneath." Yes, my baby was almost over 7 pounds 5 weeks ago! I would say that Sadie is no "mini watermelon", she's a full size watermelon!

Yesterday while I was sitting in my teacher meetings and again last night while I was taking a break from walking around a craft show with my mom, Sadie decided she wanted the world to see her GIANT feet. Without even touching my belly you could see her drag her foot from left to right to left across my body. Then she would occasionally kick rapidly for good measure. My mom FINALLY got to feel her moving so I figure that is one more reason why she should feel like she can make her way out.

Well, it's ridiculously hot here already today and it's not even 9:00! Adam is off to downtown Columbus to complete a 3 mile walk for the American Heart Association. I might seriously have considered going with him had I not woken up with already swollen hands and feet. I figured that the walking could do me some serious good at this point, but with the heat and already mentioned swelling, I decided that this was just not the time for me. I have had a rather serious urge to do some more cleaning this morning which seems to be another much mentioned sign that the end is near. I certainly hope so! Take care everyone and I'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

Alicia said...

Hooray for huge babies! Suellen is not walking much because carrying our little bowling ball in her belly is giving her severe back pain. Perhaps Parker and Sadie will be birthday buddies!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you Krysti! Just reading your blog brings back all the memories of my last few days of pregnancy. I can't wait to see you and to meet Sadie, Jamie can show her everything she needs to know.

Andrea said...

Don't bother with the walking thing - doesn't work and it only makes your back and feet hurt! ;)

Hope little (or big) Sadie makes her appearance soon!